- Black Star Rising - http://rising.blackstar.com -
Surprise Wedding Guests with a Reception Slideshow — and Watch the Referrals Roll In
Posted By Sean Cayton On October 3, 2008 @ 7:48 am In Video and Multimedia | 2 Comments
For wedding photographers, one of the most effective marketing tactics to generate word-of-mouth referrals is a slideshow at the reception.
We do a slideshow at nearly every wedding. Unless the couple came to us by referral, it remains a surprise to participants and guests. It’s been so effective for us, another photographer came to a recent wedding just to learn how we do it. So I thought I would share it with you, too.
Here’s how to put together a slideshow of wedding images in 30 minutes or less:
1. During the wedding, shoot raw and small jpg together. The small jpgs you create will enable you to download and edit your images quickly.
2. During your dinner break have an assistant download the jpg images from your cards to a folder on your laptop.
3. Load the jpg images in the editing software of your choice. We use Expressions Media.
4. Quickly tag 50 of your favorite images. We find etail images or scene setters are not nearly as effective as images with lots of people and emotion. Note: We use the screensaver function of our Mac laptop, and vertical images tend not to work as well as horizontal ones.
5. Once you’ve finished your “dirty edit,” transfer only the images you’ve selected to a separate folder that will be used for the slideshow. You may have to rename the images before transfer if there are duplicate file names. That’s OK. You still have your raw images on your cards.
6. In your system preferences, direct your screensaver to display the images from the folder with your edit.
7. For maximum impact, place the laptop in the bar or near the dance floor. If there is a widescreen TV nearby you may be able connect your computer to the screen! (We often have crowds gathering, so we make sure to place it in an area that doesn’t distract from other reception activities.)
You now have my recipe for THE most effective strategy of generating word-of-mouth referrals that I know of. Plus, you will also have a very happy bride and groom who won’t stop talking about the slideshow and your photographs for weeks.
Article printed from Black Star Rising: http://rising.blackstar.com
URL to article: http://rising.blackstar.com/surprise-wedding-guests-with-a-reception-slideshow-and-watch-the-referrals-ro.html
URLs in this post:
 Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
 : http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/2027
Copyright © 2010 Black Star Rising. All rights reserved.